My karthigai deepam Vilakku kolam 2018



    Karthigai deepam is one of my favourite festival which is celebrated during the months of November and December. As Diwali in the north, it is the festival of lights on Tamilnadu. We light lots of clay diya's in the entrance of the house as the sign of welcoming the winter season. Karthigai deepam also has a lot of devotional stories that involve the birth of Lord Murugan. 

    It is also said that there is a story with Lord shiva. Thereby This makes Annamalaiyar deepam important in Thiruvannamalai. Mostly The deepam is lit in all the sacred mountains in each and every place. In Madurai popular deepam involves Thiruparankundram Murugan temple and Alagar kovil temple.


As mentioned earlier during this time people draw vilakku kolam in their entrance and decorate it with clay diya's. I have drawn this vilakku kolam design in my entrance by giving bright colors to it. Since my place was an apartment I was able to only a small rangoli design.




I have placed Clay diya's to decorate the entrance. Some people use ceramic diya's but I prefer only Clay Diyas. It is also a tradition in most of the families that they keep the Brass Diya (Kuthu vilakku) at the center.  This one I made for the year 2018.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday padi kolam

Simple 2 line kolam with lotus and diya which can be drawn on Fridays.